Friday, November 7, 2008

Part Time Pastors

This blog is for all of you out there who are "Part Time" pastors. As we all soon learn, there is no such thing as "part time" when one is in any area of ministry. My "full time" job is as a Spanish instructor, however, I often find myself working on ministry stuff during office hours, or even getting a great idea in the middle of class that is for the "part time" job, not the full time one. I am sure if you are in this situation that you completely understand.
The thought that goes through my mind is that there is no such thing as a "Part Time" Christian, so why should any of us be "Part Time" pastors. In truth, we aren't! OK, so our salary from the congregation wouldn't keep a dog in dog food, so we work another job to be able to afford our ministry habit. You are a full time Christian even when you work in a "secular" job. Isn't that what we teach our congregation? So you are a full time pastor even when you work that secular job too! Paul made tents so he could preach the gospel. Have fun and enjoy the ministry God has given you! Remember that he counted it all JOY to be able to suffer for Christ. Chances are that if you are a pastor reading this in the United States, you aren't truly suffering. Police aren't hauling us out in the streets and beating us for being a Christian as they are in some countries. Have fun this Sunday with your congregation! As your church grows, you never know. You might end up "Full Time"!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a part time pastor, I often find myself in this position, and I often struggle with the concept of robbing my employer. It is not unusual for me to receive a scriptural epiphany while at work and as I age, I don't seem to have the capacity to remember these ideas later when I am not at work.

I will often study and compile during my lunch breaks but occasionally there are more ideas then time allows, however my employer is not paying me to study the Bible and expects me to perform a different set of tasks.

There is often a delicate balance between responding to the Spirit's leading while being careful not to "rob" my employer.

Burl Walker said...

Very good point. We are not to rob our employer who we work for in the "secular" job. I just mean that we are still a pastor even when on that job. This comes through in our attitude and the way we deal with our coworkers etc.