Thursday, November 20, 2008

Courageous Cowardice

This morning, I was reading about Gideon in the book of Judges. We all know the part about Gideon going out under the power of God and defeating the Midianites. This morning however, the part that really stuck out to me and challenged me was that he cut down the Asherah pole and the altar to Baal that belonged to his father! (Judges 6:25) It is one thing to challenge the world for something when God tells you to. It is quite another to go against ones own father! He did so, following the Lord's command. We see later in verses 30-31 that his father must have loved his son very much even though he had destroyed his altar, for he gave a great short speech to the crowd about Baal not needing the crowd to defend him from Gideon.
I wonder what I would have done in the same situation. As an American, there is such an emphasis on personal property. Destroying someone else's property is so ingrained into us as wrong that even if it is evil, we have trouble destroying it. I am reminded of a man in Springfield, MO who went into an abortion clinic and shot up the machinery and the office. He took no lives, but did damage thousands of dollars in equipment. I think God protected him. He was never apprehended that I know of. Today's blog is just my own thinking out loud. I don't expect anyone to form their theology around it. I do welcome your comments though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I once knew a missionary who regularly took his team behind the iron curtain as well as into communist Russia. They were posing as musicians and prior to traveling would dismantle their sound equipment and pack speakers and amps with "prohibited" Bibles which they would distribute once they got into the country... many lives were reached and blessed by these ministries, yet I have heard Christians criticize such bold men for "breaking the law" in the name of the Lord.

The Bible is not silent on this issue. Bold men and women of God regularly rebelled against authority in the name of the Lord when ordered to no longer speak in His name. However they all willingly also submitted to the punishment meted out to them by these authorities.

What a foreign concept for American Christians today.