Thursday, November 13, 2008

Happy Birthday!

This morning came, and I turned 36. It is looking to be the best year of my life! God is doing amazing things here in Pickens County, SC! The church I attend is having wonderful growing pains! The college where I teach is still growing amidst the national trend of downsizing. Life is good!
I come to goals each year at my birthday. Last year, one of my goals was to read through the Bible once, and the New Testament twice. It was the first year for that goal, and God used it to teach me many things! This blog has been something new from this last year. The surprising thing to me still is that some people actually read it! I have really enjoyed the feedback from y'all, and enjoyed that it isn't just people from my own church! Another goal, which those of you trying to lose weight will want to kill me for,was to get back up to 180Lbs. About three weeks ago, I got there! It is the first time since my sophomore year of college that I have weighed this much. (It is a good thing, If you don't know me, I am a tall skinny guy who could use a few more pounds.) This year, God allowed me to pray with someone to lead them to Him! That was an incredible experience!
My goals for next year are to read through the Bible twice and pray that God will let me lead someone to the Lord. My work goals are to present at at least one conference - University job. And at the church, I want to help take the Home TEAM ministry of 5 Point Fellowship to the point where at least 50% of the church are actively involved! Have an awesome day, and thanks for helping me celebrate my birthday by reading my blog...and maybe leaving a comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Birthday Boy... Happy Birthday to us... amazingly this is also my birthday... if you didn't know it... that means we are most likely Valentine’s Day babies.

Those are some great and admiral goals, especially reading through the Bible. This is encouraging to hear, especially today in our increasingly Biblically illiterate "Christian" society.

Even more encouraging to see a burden for the lost... the single highest core value of every Christian must be a passionate proclamation of Christ. Corporately as a generation of believers I am convinced we have a responsibility to tear down walls of opposition to the Gospel allowing the next generation to take the only message of hope for the world, further than we have been able to. At the very least we MUST NOT ALLOW walls of opposition to grow, making the task of sharing the Gospel more difficult for the next generation.

Happy Birthday Burl,

May his blessing of peace, purpose and love rest on you, encourage and inspire you in the days and weeks to come!

The Place