Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Christians are WHAT?

I am sitting here at my desk thinking about how some sales people will tell you anything to make the sale whether it is true or not. "Yep, This here 1984 Ford Pinto can do an 8 second quarter mile...no problem." Do we ever do that when trying to lead someone to the Lord? Just like the guy who drives the Pinto off the lot and finds it really needs a quart of oil each tank of gas to keep running and the quarter mile is more like 8 minutes than 8 seconds, he won't be coming back to that car dealer for another car in the same way, people who "make a confession of faith" due to a high pressure "sales pitch" or misinformation are likely to just as quickly turn their back on God and "religion" when they realize that being a Christian doesn't mean that you will get rich or suddenly everyone will like you... Here in America, people aren't often killed for their faith in Jesus, but shouldn't those people who decide to follow Jesus do so knowing that they could be killed for their new found belief?

5 comments:

Josh C said...

This is totally true. Why in the world do people like Joel Osteen get up and tell people that as a Christian that their life will be great. Jesus did say "In this world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." We can't go on witnessing to people and telling them that Jesus will improve their life. At the first sign of persecution these people think that we lied to them. It is because we did.

TradeKings said...

I have to disagree with John C. I'm not very familiar with Osteen but what he means by saying Christians lives will be "great" does not mean that their circumstances will be great or even change, but that they will have peace and joy that goes beyond circumstances. This greatness is not measured by things that the world considers great. Jesus WILL improve your life in unbelievable ways because it wont be dependent on what happens or does not happen to you on a daily basis. There is no lie in telling people about the transforming peace and joy that comes with a committed life to Christ.

Josh C said...

It's Josh not John and the fact you misspelled my name leads me to believe that you didn't research my comment in the first place. Osteen talks about people being financially great and prosperous. The post was about persecution which is a part of the Bible that Osteen ignores. Yes Jesus promises peace but He also promises persecution. My point is that Osteen ignores the persecution and repentance and a lot of other things in order for people to feel good.

TradeKings said...

Josh C.......I apologize for getting your name wrong. I did actually read everything in your post closely other than the name. What I was responding most to in your post was your comment that " We can't go on witnessing to people and telling them that Jesus will improve their life." I admitted to not being very familiar with Osteen so I could be wrong about his intent but I do disagree with your comment that we are lying to say that Jesus will improve our lives. It is possible that I just misunderstood your meaning.

Burl Walker said...

I love spirited debate, but leave off any personal attacks please. That goes for other commenters as well as famous preachers.