Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Losing People

Inevitably, any church plant will at some point experience the loss of a family that has been working hard along side the church planter. For whatever reason, the vision that the congregant didn't quite mix with the vision that God had lain on the Pastor's heart for the church. Often, the church member doesn't see the "big picture", sometimes, the pastor is casting his own vision instead of God's. If both are truly seeking the Lord, I have to believe that God doesn't send mixed signals. One verse helps me out when I struggle with people leaving the church. John 6:66 says: "From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him." Not just one, but many, and Jesus was the pastor of that church! I guess if He lost some, then how can any pastor expect not to have people leave? Simple point today, but if you are a pastor struggling with people who have left your church, wish them well, pray for them that they will find a church where they can get involved and use their gifts for God's kingdom. Just remember that Jesus lost some too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps in many kaces it has to do with a lack of understanding of spiritual authority among parishioners. Another good thought may just simply be that God is going in a new direction:

ISA 43:18 "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
ISA 43:19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.

Tony Campolo tells a story of a mountain preacher who after his first sermon on the topic of "with God there is no favoritism (racially)" was confronted by a deacon who informed him they did not appreciate this kind of preaching at their church. What did you do the friend asks the mountain preacher... "I fired that deacon" Then I preached that church down to 4." Sometimes you have to loose a few before you can grow any bigger.

That's how he tells it anyway.

Burl Walker said...

I must say, I had never heard of a pastor firing a deacon! That is a great story. I do enjoy Tony Campolo!