Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Memorize the Playbook?

I heard an interesting thought this evening that I thought would be worth sharing with the type of people who might read my blog. The thought was, “If churches were like football teams, then most pastors would get fired after the first season.” Most churches and church leaders included have the idea that we memorize the playbook (Bible). We teach the playbook. We even practice the plays in the playbook. But what would happen to a team that knew every play in the book but couldn’t execute the plays for a win during the game? The team owners wouldn’t care if the coach said, “I know we lost 55-0 but my players know every play in the playbook.” Pastor’s and leaders in the church are much like a coach. Once the people leave the confines of the locker room (church lobby) and head out onto the field (real life) that is when we find out how good a job the coaching staff is doing. Philippians 4:9 tells us to “Put into practice what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.” Hopefully we can inspire and motivate those who are learning, receiving, hearing and seeing from and in us to put what we have modeled for them into practice so that the game of life can be won! If you didn’t like this blog, blame me. If you really liked it, check out Travis Holmes’ new church Thrive Church at www.thrivechurch.tv or see his blog link to the right on my page. Most of this thought was stolen from his mind.

1 comment:

Valley High said...

Thanks for the encouragement Burl. Love you bro'!